It’s the return of the NFL Top 5 Bottom 5. After two weeks it’s pretty clear there are two teams above the rest. And while both may stumble here and there during the season, if they can avoid major injuries, I wouldn’t be surprised if these two meet in the Super Bowl in San Francisco.
And as always we pay tribute to those heroes that give their all on the sidelines jumping and shaking those pom pom’s. The NFL cheerleaders of course!
1. New England Patriots (2-0): The defending Super Bowl Champs show Rex Ryan that his Bills are far from ready to knock them off their perch at the top of the AFC East.
2. Green Bay Packers (2-0): The Packers are getting hit with injuries but as long as Aaron Rodgers remains healthy the Packers appear to be the best team in the NFC.
3. Arizona Cardinals (2-0): The defense is good. The offense has been solid as well. But the big question always looms…can Carson Palmer stay healthy?
4. Denver Broncos (2-0): The Donkey’s have scrapped their way to 2-0 despite the fact it takes 10 minutes for a ball to float from Peyton Manning to his receivers.
5. Cincinnati Bengals (2-0): Andy Dalton is playing well–for now.
1. Chicago Bears (0-2): Da Bears da bad.
2. New Orleans Saints (0-2): Team is struggling again and it doesn’t help Drew Brees shoulder is ailing.
3. New York Giants (0-2): G-men can’t close blowing two fourth quarter leads.
4. Detroit Lions (0-2): Lie-downs lose first two on the road. Returning home could help but easily could start 0-3 hosting the Broncos.
5. Philadelphia Eagles (0-2): Never thought the Iggles would be here but their poor early play definitely puts them on the list.
“Ziggy Mania” is underway in Detroit–all over his 3D glasses. The Detroit Lions are enticing fans with free “Ziggy glasses” when they buy the jersey of BYU defensive end Ziggy Ansah. Ansah wore 3D glasses at the NFL Draft when he was selected with the fifth overall pick by the Lions. Last week IMAX Theaters offered him free movies for a year. Who would have thought the mild mannered Ziggy would already be a marketing machine?! I can see a fashion trend blowing up in Provo!
According to NFL Network insider Albert Breer, BYU’s Ezekiel “Ziggy” Ansah apparently is in high demand for Thursday’s 2013 NFL Draft:
The Philadelphia Eagles are reportedly listening to offers which means Ansah could change the face of the first round depending on what team moves up. The Detroit Lions did not work Ansah out individually but the staff did coach him in the Senior Bowl in which he was named the games most outstanding player.
Ansah could be a good fit for that defense that features strong interior defensive linemen in defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley but is lacking a good edge rusher. The questions is whether the Lions organization, notoriously a downtrodden one, can be patient enough to allow Ansah to grow and whether he can handle the criticism that may come from an impatient fanbase.
As heard on 1320 KFAN here is the final regular season edition of the Gunther and Graham NFL Top 5 Bottom 5. Some shuffling among the Top 5 while the Bottom 5 remained stable. We do have a new team in the poll and as we always do, we honor them with their cheerleaders!
NFL TOP 5 BOTTOM 5:
1. BRONCOS (1): Closing the season on a 11 game win streak and securing home field advantage for the playoffs shows the Peyton Manning signing obviously paid off.
2. NINERS (4): Locked up the NFC two seed by dominating the Cardinals. Still question whether Colin Kaepernick can handle the playoff pressure.
3. PATRIOTS (5): Defense pitches a shutout in season finale.
4. FALCONS (2): Lose to the Bucs in the meaningless season ender. Can they use the home field advantage to propel them to the Super Bowl?
5. SEAHAWKS (NR): Hottest team in the NFC will try to make a playoff run as a wild card.
Dropped Out: PACKERS
1. CHIEFS (1): Coach gets fired but the GM that put together this mess of a team is keeping his job–for now? Yeah, that makes sense.
2. JAGUARS (2): GM gets the ax. Coach Mike Mularkey most likely next.
3. RAIDERS (3): Close the year losing eight of their final nine as this once proud franchise continues to embarrass themselves.
4. LIONS (4): From a playoff team to selecting in the top 10 of the draft. Good to see the Lions return to normal.
5. CARDINALS (5): The fact they started Brian Hoyer in their final game at quarterback sums up why both the coach and GM were fired.
Dropped Out: NONE
As heard on 1320 KFAN here is the latest Gunther and Graham NFL Top 5 Bottom 5. And once again we have a new No. 1. And continuing with the holiday theme we honor this week’s poll with NFL cheerleaders dressed in their holiday attire. These would be the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Too bad America’s team wasn’t good or bad enough to make this poll this year so we could feature them more!
NFL TOP 5 BOTTOM 5:
1. BRONCOS (2): A win over the Chiefs and Denver goes into the playoffs on a 11 game win streak.
2. FALCONS (4): Always good to have home field advantage wrapped up going into the final week.
3. PACKERS (NR): Winners of 10 of their last 11 Green Bay is poised for another deep playoff run.
4. NINERS (1): Curious to see what kind of effect the thumping by Seattle has on this team heading into the playoffs
5. PATRIOTS (5): Pats haven’t been playing well the last two games. Look to get back on track Sunday versus Miami.
Dropped Out: TEXANS
1. CHIEFS (1): A loss to the Broncos and KC is on the clock for the first pick.
2. JAGUARS (2): The next home for Tim Tebow? Enjoy him Jacksonville.
3. RAIDERS (3): What speedy wide receiver will Oakland draft next?
4. LIONS (4): A loss to the Bears and Detroit closes the season on a eight game losing streak.
5. CARDINALS (5): And this week’s quarterback is…
Dropped Out: NONE
As heard on 1320 KFAN here is the latest Gunther and Graham NFL Top 5 Bottom 5. For the second consecutive week we once again have a new No. 1 in both the top and bottom. And in honor of Christmas we spread the holiday cheer with pics of NFL cheerleaders.
NFL TOP 5 BOTTOM 5:
1. NINERS (5): Topping the previous No. 1 team on the road earns the jump to the top spot.
2. BRONCOS (2): After taking down the Ravens, Denver should finish the year on a 11 game win streak with only the Browns and Chiefs left on the schedule.
3. TEXANS (3): Houston is fifth in defending the run. They’ll be tested Sunday by Adrian Peterson.
4. FALCONS (4): Atlanta bounced back impressively from the Carolina loss by blowing out the Giants.
5. PATRIOTS (1): Had their seven game win streak snapped by the Niners. Should bounce back and end the season with wins over the Jaguars and Dolphins.
Dropped Out: None
1. CHIEFS (3): Lowly Chiefs generate just 119 yards and seven first downs against the lowly Raiders.
2. JAGUARS (2): Playing an angry Patriots team this Sunday won’t be pleasant for the Jags.
3. RAIDERS (4): Good news is they ended a six game losing streak. The bad news is it was against the Chiefs.
4. LIONS (NR): One year removed from making the playoffs, the Lions have returned to their mediocre state.
5. CARDINALS (1): By beating the Lions the Cardinals end their nine game losing streak but who thinks that was probably a fluke?
Dropped Out: TITANS